Before playing a game, it is always important to know how it works. For this reason, you should first understand the roulette rules before you want to play games for real money.
Luckily, online roulette is probably one of the casino games with the easiest rules to understand. So you won’t have to waste long hours studying theory before you start your games. After only a few tens of minutes you will already understand the whole game.
Table of Contents
Top 3 casinos to enforce roulette rules
Casino Roulette Rule: How a game is played
The most important roulette rule to understand is the one that governs the course of a game. All the moves in each variant of roulette are played in the same way.
This is how a game of roulette is played step by step:
- First of all, you have to buy chips if you play in a real casino. Online, you will have to deposit money in the casino. When you open a roulette game, the money in your account is used directly for your games.
- Next, you will have to choose the squares on which you wish to bet money. This can be a simple number, a combination of numbers, a specific colour, etc. It is up to you to decide according to your style.
- In a real casino, you can only bet for a certain period of time. The dealer will then tell you that it is no longer possible to place any bets. Online, if you are playing a game with a live dealer, the system is pretty much the same. If you are playing a game without a dealer, you can take your time to place your bets before confirming with a button that you are finished.
- When the ball stops on a square, the dealer checks the players’ bets and pays all those who have won something. Online, this is done automatically, even if you are playing with a live dealer, because the system is automated.
- Once all players have been paid, the cycle starts again and players can bet on new numbers.
How to play roulette? What are the different variants available?
We have just seen in the previous paragraph how to play roulette. However, you should also be aware that not all roulette games work exactly the same way. Some of them have different rules, which you should know before you play them, otherwise you may be in for a nasty surprise during your games.
There are many different variants. However, the most common are English roulette, American roulette and European roulette.
European roulette rule
For a francophone, this is the basic game, the one that could be described as “classic”. The most specific European roulette rule is that the wheel has 37 numbered squares, including the famous green 0 square.
American roulette rules
In the United States, although the rules are generally very similar to those used in Europe, the most emblematic American roulette rule is that the game has 38 squares instead of 37. The extra square is also green and is called double zero 00.
English roulette rules
The English roulette rules is very similar to that of classic or European roulette. The main difference comes from the game in a real casino. In this type of games, the number of players is limited and each of them gets chips of a different color, which all have a fixed value. To vary the size of your bets, you have to bet more chips or play at a table with higher stakes.
How to play roulette well? What are the mistakes to avoid?
Before you begin your games, it is important to understand how to play roulette properly. Unfortunately, there is no single answer to this question, as there are different strategies for different player profiles. For example, some may only want to play on red or black, while others may only want to play on their lucky numbers.
But there is one thing that should be avoided, and that is making mistakes. Every mistake you make will cost you money instead of making you money. So it’s important to avoid that. Here are the most common mistakes to avoid:
- Wanting to play without knowing the rules. Then you may not understand what you are doing.
- Start directly for real money. There’s always a free version, which will allow you to get your hands on it. Use it if you are not yet comfortable with the game.
- Bet too much on one shot. If you win the game, then yes, you will get big wins. But if you lose it, then you may run out of money very quickly.
What are the best roulette casino tricks?
There is also a casino roulette tip that will allow you to increase your winnings considerably. It is important to use it, because if you play it is primarily to try to win money.
This trick is actually quite simple: avoid the least profitable casters. For example, American Roulette has a double 0 which will decrease your chances of winning, as you have an extra chance to lose. So play the European version of the game instead, as this is the variant where you will win the most.
The roulette pass rule is missing: a special way to bet
There are many different ways to bet. On a number, on a colour, on an even number, etc. It’s up to you to decide what makes the most sense for you. But there is also a special way, known to very few people: the roulette pass rule is missing.
Behind this somewhat complicated name is actually something simple. The lack corresponds to numbers between 1 and 18, while the pass to numbers between 19 and 36. Just like black or red, even or odd, you have a little less than a 50/50 chance of finding the right number.
If you are short of inspiration for your bets, feel free to test the missing pass.
Casino Roulette Rules: What are the differences between live and online roulette?
When you play online or in an establishment, the roulette rules at the casino may be slightly different. Here are the major differences between these places of play:
- In a casino, a croupier hosts the games. He decides when you can place your bets with the famous “Make your bets” and when you can no longer bet with his famous “Rien ne va plus”. Online, on a classic table, this does not exist. Even in games with a live dealer, this is not always the case either, as the system automatically prevents you from betting once the time limit has been reached.
- Real games last longer. The dealer has to calculate by hand the amounts to be paid and distribute the money to each of the winning players. Online, this is done automatically and directly.
- On the Internet, there is no risk of error. Since everything is managed automatically, the dealer cannot make a mistake.
- It feels different in a real casino. You can talk to people, you have the atmosphere of the establishment, you can have drinks and so on. You can talk to people, you have the atmosphere of the establishment, you can have drinks, etc. You can use live chat on games with a live dealer, but this is not at all the same as being physically present in a casino.
How much does zero pay at roulette?
For many players, the 0, or the green square, is problematic. Many people wonder how much 0 pays in roulette. Here are the different possible scenarios:
- You can bet on 0 as if it were a normal number. In this case, you can win 36 times your bet.
- The 0 is neither even nor odd. It is neither black nor red. It is not part of any dozen and does not include either the pass or the miss. If you bet on one of these combinations and the ball lands on 0, you lose your shot.
Here we are at the end of our article on the rules of roulette. We hope that you now know more about the game and that you will make good use of it in your games.
It’s really important to understand at least a little bit about how the game you want to play works. Otherwise, you risk making huge mistakes that could end up costing you a lot of money.
So take some time to master the rules of roulette. The time you spend on it will save you a lot of money later on with your increased knowledge of the game. This should not be considered a waste of time, but rather a long-term investment.
Want to learn more about roulette? Find all our categories on this game:
- Roulette Strategy
- Roulette Tips
- Roller Carpet
- Probability Roulette
- English Roulette
- European Roulette
- American Roulette
- Live Roulette
- Martingale Roulette